It's Official, I've Registered to Walk 60 Miles


Dear Friends,

It seems that everyone has had a close friend or family member who's suffered from breast cancer. Statistically, it's pretty amazing but I have not...until last year. In April 2010, one of the kindest, most patient people I know was diagnosed with breast cancer. She's MY age! One month later, she had a double mastectomy followed by chemotherapy and endless rounds of radiation treatments. Tonya Jamois has inspired me with her amazing grace, strength, dignity and courage. I'm truly honored to call her my friend.

Inspired by her Scottish roots, Tonya became a Pink and Plaid Warrior and wrote about her battle in her personal blog: pinkandplaidwarrior.blogspot.com. She shared about her challenges, pain, lessons learned and hardships faced; and through it, she's lifted us all up in the process. Today she continues to share her inspiring journey and those who know her can only aspire to be like her. 

While still in treatment, Tonya signed up for the 3-Day Walk. She was THAT confident the cancer would be behind herLater, she invited me to join her team--that invitation came in February--and today, 8 months later, I have FINALLY committed. On November 18-20, 2011, I'll walk 60 MILES over the course of three days with thousands of other women and men. What took me so long? I suppose I feared that I couldn't commit the time needed to train for the event; and due to some physical limitations caused by a car accident I had last year, I wasn't sure I'd be ready. What was I thinking? I'll tell you what I WASN'T thinking. I wasn't thinking about ALL the people around the world who suffer from this disease. I wasn't thinking about the fact that 3 days of my life (and probably a bit of pain) is NOTHING compared to what Tonya and her beautiful family went through. I'm ashamed it took me this long but I'm all in and now I'm reaching out to you.

I know we are living is challenging financial times but would you please assist me in raising the funds needed so I may participate? I've committed to raise at least $2,300 in donations. Since I waited a bit too long, I don't have a lot of time to get to the finish line...pun intended. Without a cure, one person will die of breast cancer every 13 minutes in the United States. I hope that you'll share this incredible adventure with me. Please become part of the Pink and Plaid Warrior team by donating to support my efforts. Click here: http://www.the3day.org/goto/caryleestone

BTW, if you work for a large corporation like Qualcomm, you can find out if your employer is part of Komen's Matching Gifts program. Click here: http://www.the3day.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Matching_Gifts_2011. They will DOUBLE your donation!

I think when the Pink and Plaid Warriors finally DO cross the finish line, we'll all have our "Rocky Balboa" moment. 

Thank you so much for your generosity!

Carylee Stone





Comments

Popular Posts